How to start EA configuration from scratch?

• updated
  • Answered

Hi,

at least for me it would be great to have a tutorial on how to start a new EA configuration from scratch.

For example I would like to build a strategy, which goes short when ATR(N=20) is crossed from below by ema(5) and rsi is over 70,  with martingale and global take profit.

How would you suggest to begin?

The known Google document describes the set file parameters shortly, but I still have difficulty to understand it's example usage.

what do you think?

Does it make sense to propose a methodology on how to use CP to define a strategy from an idea?

best

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • In process

Hannes, thanks for your question.

I moved it to the Suggestions/Questions section.

What difficulties do you experience with setting up your strategy?

You should start with all signals and other functions disabled and activate them one by one.

I suggest to start with RSI signal, then add Volatility (ATR).

Please, show me your process and point to the problems, I'll try to help.

And please attach set file with your question so I can check it before answering.

Hannes Waser

Hi Andrey,

thank you.

* First of all I had to research the definition (application examples) of some of the Oscillators (Stochastic K). In the "literature" it is often combined with its own SMA.As far as I understood, the SMA is already part of the oscillator configuration. So it would be great to have some picture, which shows how the oscillator triggers buy/sell on a chart. I guess it can be enabled with the CROSS-MA-Mode? Also I somehow missed that the Oscillator is then visualized in another open tab in the "test-visualization" screen. :)

Ok, as of the process.

I try now to use Stochastic K first.

Intuitively, I would like to trigger a buy, when the SMA of the oscillator is crossed by the oscillator signal from below and both are under the DN-level.

At first I thought this settings might be a good fit:

This is however, how it behaved in the test run:

* The first buy on the screen (the second in the series) was triggered when the signal was indeed under DN. But it was also under its SMA (red).

* The second buy was triggered the when apparently same conditions were active.

In the image below, I added the pink crosses to the Stochastic chart, where I would expect the triggers to be in.

So I guess its all because of my misconfiguration.

Thank you very much!

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Answered
Quote from Hannes Waser

Hi Andrey,

thank you.

* First of all I had to research the definition (application examples) of some of the Oscillators (Stochastic K). In the "literature" it is often combined with its own SMA.As far as I understood, the SMA is already part of the oscillator configuration. So it would be great to have some picture, which shows how the oscillator triggers buy/sell on a chart. I guess it can be enabled with the CROSS-MA-Mode? Also I somehow missed that the Oscillator is then visualized in another open tab in the "test-visualization" screen. :)

Ok, as of the process.

I try now to use Stochastic K first.

Intuitively, I would like to trigger a buy, when the SMA of the oscillator is crossed by the oscillator signal from below and both are under the DN-level.

At first I thought this settings might be a good fit:

This is however, how it behaved in the test run:

* The first buy on the screen (the second in the series) was triggered when the signal was indeed under DN. But it was also under its SMA (red).

* The second buy was triggered the when apparently same conditions were active.

In the image below, I added the pink crosses to the Stochastic chart, where I would expect the triggers to be in.

So I guess its all because of my misconfiguration.

Thank you very much!

You chose the correct signal. But it applies to the first entry only.

Try to disable martingale and run the test again.

To open martingale deals on signal too, set "Open martin on collective/individual signal" for your Oscillator filter.

You can ask such questions in the Telegram group. Maybe someone else can help you and I'll have more time for EA development ;)