Open prices

• updated
  • Completed

Hi Andrey, thank you for your awesome creation!

Would you consider adding an option to trade on open prices only? It would make optimization much more time efficient and results more reliable in my experience.

Options needed:

- Open prices: yes/no

- trading timeframe  (done, to place EA on 1 min TF but trade whichever TF )

Thank you!

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Under review

Hey! Thanks for your feedback!

We already have "Signal TimeFrame" and "on new bar" option for most blocks.

Have you tried them? Do you see valuable difference between 'all ticks' and 'open prices' with these options activated?

Which other blocks would you use 'on new bar' only?

Let's discuss concrete improvements.

martin schmidt

Hi Andrey,

yes, on new bar I use as standard to get more reliable indicator signal, however, strategy tester results vary a lot between testing with 1min ohlc and real ticks(at least for 5min TF and certain strategies, eg. MA filtered entry with MACD or PSAR, trail by PSAR etc).

Eg. a strategy optimized with 1min ohlc may have lots of 5 pip targets with a great profit curve, yet checked with real ticks it goes to 0.

There are EA's that control bar opening and only trade on that information, so tester results for 1min ohlc and real ticks is about the same.

I'm not sure if instead of open prices it is possible to read only the 4 ticks of OHLC, which would be better I guess.

So the idea would be to have the EA read and trade only on those OHLC data so that live it behaves more or less the same.

This is mainly for making optimization faster. EG. on real ticks, a 3 year 5min optimization with reasonable steps of MACD entry, SL, TP, TS, BE, 2MA filters takes 24-48h on a mid range Ryzen 7 CPU. 

Additionally, many brokers provide real ticks only for a few months/years. However, OHLC data of candles goes back much further.

Quote from martin schmidt

Hi Andrey,

yes, on new bar I use as standard to get more reliable indicator signal, however, strategy tester results vary a lot between testing with 1min ohlc and real ticks(at least for 5min TF and certain strategies, eg. MA filtered entry with MACD or PSAR, trail by PSAR etc).

Eg. a strategy optimized with 1min ohlc may have lots of 5 pip targets with a great profit curve, yet checked with real ticks it goes to 0.

There are EA's that control bar opening and only trade on that information, so tester results for 1min ohlc and real ticks is about the same.

I'm not sure if instead of open prices it is possible to read only the 4 ticks of OHLC, which would be better I guess.

So the idea would be to have the EA read and trade only on those OHLC data so that live it behaves more or less the same.

This is mainly for making optimization faster. EG. on real ticks, a 3 year 5min optimization with reasonable steps of MACD entry, SL, TP, TS, BE, 2MA filters takes 24-48h on a mid range Ryzen 7 CPU. 

Additionally, many brokers provide real ticks only for a few months/years. However, OHLC data of candles goes back much further.

So, you already use opening on new bars.

Means, the difference is in close signals.

What do you use for closing?

It it is a TrailingStop = 5 pips, you'll never have the same results with open prices and real ticks.

It it is indicator-based signal with 'use closed bars only' = true, it will work near the same.

Try to disable orders management and compare the results.

Then enable one managing option (TS, BE. Partial close, etc) and compare again.

Just to understand the reason of difference.

Finally, say me what do you want to use with 'open prices only' and attach tester ini to demonstrate the difference. I'll review it and answer.

martin schmidt

OK, I should have known better before asking, it is to be expected that TS, BE and even TP will create different results with open prices vs ticks.

If EA closes trades by indicator on closed bar it is more reliable. Can live with that.

Please feel free to delete this thread.

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Completed
Quote from martin schmidt

OK, I should have known better before asking, it is to be expected that TS, BE and even TP will create different results with open prices vs ticks.

If EA closes trades by indicator on closed bar it is more reliable. Can live with that.

Please feel free to delete this thread.

Let's leave it for others)