2015+ GBPJPY 'DumbDragon' RSI_MA set (no martingale)

• updated

Hi everyone,

Been playing around with GBPJPY and have got close a few times to market working well, just thought I'd share this set perhaps to show something working well under the right conditions, I'm sure we've all made an EA that does this but this is my entry, no martingale just relies on right market timeframe. Here's how it works:

- Buys above and sells below 21 MA (Collective) 

- Uses fast RSI >70 in reverse-mode to look for reversals (Collective)

- Closes on individual (when price touches MA)

- Closes on individual (RSI switch)

- Trailing StopLoss

This is only profitable from 2015 onwards, try backtesting from 2010 and it blows immediately (stupid lot size, if you set from margin and it never really recovers), I just think in visual mode in this timeframe it shows what an EA looks like when it's mostly behaving

Start with 10,000, GBPJPY in Jan 2015 to present day, D1 timeframe in visual mode

CONS:

Not a real adaptive EA just works for this currency and between these dates

I've saved lot size at 2.0 just to show big growth pa, can set to 0.1 lot size and see growth slower than market so not actually real, e.g. at 2.0 lot size 50% equity DD in first couple of trades, hence 'DumbDragon'

PROS:

Shows good example of RSI/MA co-operation to identify both trends AND reversals
Good example of trailing stop-loss and currency-appropriate SL and TP points for time-frame
Good for visual mode

Can show a 'close-but-no-cigar' example of CP to beginners and show types of CP input numbers to work for specific pair

Any thoughts to adapt for 2010-2015 market-conditions welcome

Dragon_Swinger_2015+GBPJPY_D1_withVolATR.set

Cheers!

James

MT version:
Set for MT5 only
EA version:
Symbol:
GBPJPY
TimeFrame:
D1
Andrey Khatimlianskyi

James, thanks for your set!

james

Improved Dragon set

Massively improved this set - added fib open, anti-big-candle close and adjusted Trailing StopLoss

Start with 10k in account, D1, 2015 - today

Again, only works 2015+, this save is a slightly more sensible 10% margin, 10X's in 5 years

For huge gains switch to fixed lot and enable martingale - goes from £10k - £686k 2015-today

For more hesitant opens switch the volatility ATR to 350

Still no real joy pre 2015, though 2010+ will still be in decent profit as saved

Any ideas on how to improve this? Thinking of adding ZZ filter

Enabed sections are TP, SL, TSL, RSI, MA2, VOL ATR, FIB1, Big candle

Sai Pratap

improved set has made only one trade in 3 years (2019-2022)!

james

Hi Sai, because this is a set working on the daily chart instead of a scalper I was trying to approach much larger/longer market trends, can you try it with the recommended settings (10k from 2015-today) and see which ways you can think of to improve it?

Sai Pratap
Quote from james

Hi Sai, because this is a set working on the daily chart instead of a scalper I was trying to approach much larger/longer market trends, can you try it with the recommended settings (10k from 2015-today) and see which ways you can think of to improve it?

Hi James,

I get very poor tick quality beyond 2018. Also it is not worth testing for such long duration.

Irrespective of the past performance over 10 years, having only one trade in last 3 years is pretty bad imo. :(

U may better try to improve number of trades and test for last few years first instead of 10 years.

Also, y dont u upload ur results!?