EA crashes in backtesting (HELP)

• updated
  • Answered

Image 2838

Image 2839

Hi all

Does anyone know why the algo trades perfectly and then suddenly loses essentially the whole balance? I've tried to alter the inputs and timeframes to prevent this sudden loss. Can anyone suggest what inputs I should change to prevent this? 

Thanks, heaps 

Sai Pratap

Any logic/EA will trade perfectly as long as market is behaving as per the code behind it. It crashes when market moves against the code. And this is pretty common. Not sure what made u think so much. 

U just have to check the reasons behind such huge DD and play with those parameters. 

If u expecting forum to help u, u shud come up with the set file which u have worked with. Mere screenshots wont help anyone.

If u cant develop ur own set, there are many set files for u to work upon and improve further. Hope u r well versed with all the parameters of EA/guide of EA.

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Answered

To prevent such sudden loss, just disable martingale.

But you want to make profit every single day and month over all history, don't you? )

Ulises Cune

You may have to learn and read a little more how to use the Metatrader 5 tester.
Check this url and follow the advice of Andrey and Sai

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/algotrading/testing

charlie hermando
Quote from Andrey Khatimlianskyi

But you want to make profit every single day and month over all history, don't you? )

appreciate the help

charlie hermando
Quote from Sai Pratap

Any logic/EA will trade perfectly as long as market is behaving as per the code behind it. It crashes when market moves against the code. And this is pretty common. Not sure what made u think so much. 

U just have to check the reasons behind such huge DD and play with those parameters. 

If u expecting forum to help u, u shud come up with the set file which u have worked with. Mere screenshots wont help anyone.

If u cant develop ur own set, there are many set files for u to work upon and improve further. Hope u r well versed with all the parameters of EA/guide of EA.

I have been working on my own set for the AUDUSD Symbol. It generates good returns (up to 31%) over the last month and a half. 

However, if I extend the timeframe up to two months it creates a huge DD early on in April. 

It seems that a handful of unsuccessful trades were opened over the 21st and 22nd of April which crashed the balance. I'm still not sure how to solve this. I tried altering the stop-loss parameters among others but no difference was made. I have read CommunityPower EA FAQ and tried to figure out how to solve this. 

This is a close-up of the 21st -22nd trades. 

Also, the set file I used is attached. 

Cheers 

my AUDUSD set

Sai Pratap

U shud try optimization in MT5.

charlie hermando
Quote from Sai Pratap

U shud try optimization in MT5.

I only use MT5 so that's what I've been doing.

Sai Pratap
Quote from charlie hermando

I only use MT5 so that's what I've been doing.

I asked u to do "optimization" in MT5. If u do not know what optimization is, better read MQL5 help.

Stephane DURIF

Charlie, here is your .set file slightly modified, you will earn less but will be a little more secure, the entries are the same as your file, I modified the timeframe to 15mn, added "edge" for Buy and Sell at the same time, reduced the Take profit to 40 and increased the martingale step to 20 with a maximum of 6 orders to limit the risk.

The profit factor is correct at 2.24 and 76% winning trade.AUDUSDtestV2.set

My advice: optimize from this base over a minimum of 2 years, keep a fairly wide step and limit the number of martingale trades. The rest is up to you...

charlie hermando
Quote from Andrey Khatimlianskyi

Hi Andrey or others,

This is unrelated to this post I just didn't want to clutter the homepage with a new question. 

When I try to attach the EA to a chart to algo trade, nothing happens. I'm logged into a test account with a fake balance. However, the EA refuses to make any trades. I'm not sure if there is a setting I might have set incorrectly or if I'm missing something obvious. The EA set file trades perfectly in backtesting. 

The community power ea trading window in the top left corner just stays blank and I'm not sure how to actually activate it. 

Thanks heaps