News filter improvements (holidays)

• updated
  • Under review

I would like to suggest a couple of improvements.

First idea:

Now the news about the holiday (All day) is tied to a specific time.

This is what it looks like in visual testing:

Image 4841

And so the holiday is displayed in the news file:

Image 4842

It turns out that in order to exclude the entire holiday from trading, you need to set a time interval per day. (using "minutes before" and "minutes after" parameters)

But this is not possible for two reasons:

- the interval is also used for regular news

- all holidays have their time in files:

Image 4843

Therefore, as an improvement, I propose to change the logic and untie the holidays from the time interval and simply indicate that if there is a holiday on this day, then do not trade all day.

Just in case, I attach a set with which I checked the operation of the function - these are the default settings + the holiday filter is enabled and the parameters are set "DST mode" = "DST Europe" и "GMT offset" = 2 (Roboforex UTC+2 (Eastern European Time, EET) https://roboforex.com/beginners/info/forex-trading-hours/ )

test holiday filter.set

Version CP - 2.55.1

Second idea:

If idea #1 is implemented, then an additional parameter can be added that would indicate whether it is also necessary to trade the day before the holiday or the day after it.

I will give an example when this can help - 4 july (Independence Day US)

On this day, there is most often no volatility (flat), and after that there is a strong movement. It would be nice not to trade on these days.

2019.07.04:

Image 4845

2022.07.04:

Image 4846

In this example, the next day there was not even any other news, and the movement was strong (for no reason not adequate):

Image 4847

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Under review

Thanks for your suggestion!

The problem is I don't know the exact timezone for each country holiday. So, I take them as they are.

But we still can add a special pause before/after/during holidays as a separate parameter. What do you think? Is it work for you?

Kirill El

Yes, these parameter/s will work.

Of course, there will be some inaccuracy in the interval, but it seems to me that it is not fundamental here. It is better to exclude a little more hours from trading.

But I also thought about doing this for all the news that can be flagged (all day)

For example, in addition to Holiday(Impact = 0), there are also such (Impact > 0):

Image 4908

What do you think?

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
Quote from Kirill El

Yes, these parameter/s will work.

Of course, there will be some inaccuracy in the interval, but it seems to me that it is not fundamental here. It is better to exclude a little more hours from trading.

But I also thought about doing this for all the news that can be flagged (all day)

For example, in addition to Holiday(Impact = 0), there are also such (Impact > 0):

Image 4908

What do you think?

You want to apply these new parameters for all 'All day' news?

Kirill El
Quote from Andrey Khatimlianskyi

You want to apply these new parameters for all 'All day' news?

yes, but it might be worth adding another parameter in which migth set which impact-levels to take into account.

Kirill El

Temporarily found a way to exclude days from trading during backtesting without affecting the quotes themselves.

Perhaps it will be useful to someone.

I add entries marked "FakeNews" to news files. This allows you to quickly find such entries or use them as a value in the "Include key-words" parameter

Example

Image 5066

Image 5068

Image 5067

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
Quote from Kirill El

Temporarily found a way to exclude days from trading during backtesting without affecting the quotes themselves.

Perhaps it will be useful to someone.

I add entries marked "FakeNews" to news files. This allows you to quickly find such entries or use them as a value in the "Include key-words" parameter

Example

Image 5066

Image 5068

Image 5067

Wow! What a cool trick ;)