Smart Risk Limitation of Martingale by Logistic Growth

• updated
  • Completed

One of the main issues with the martingale is its inherent exponential growth. After only a few Iterations, the lot size explodes and with it the risk.

This is bad but must of the time the profits are generated in the first few iterations when the exponential growth leads to a fast exit again.

So, how to have the best of both worlds?

The answer is a function which has at first an exponential growth (like Martingale) but then transitions to a constant lot size (like grid).

Such a function exists and is well-known in nature for limited growth, the logistic function:

Image 761

Naturally, L is our maxLot and k is related to the Martingale coefficient alpha by

k = ln alpha

Further, we need to define a minLot (starting Lot) and x0. x0 is just the point from which the growth will transition strongly to a constant value.

Here is an example of Martingale coefficient alpha = 1.52 compared to the logistic growth capped at a maxLot of 1.0, x0 = 11, minLot = 0.01:

Image 762

It is clearly visible how the Martingale (red line) explodes at low Iterations / cycles and with it the trade risk. The logistic function shows a linear risk increase, since the lot is constant.

I think that the logistic function gives us much more possibilities to survice strongly trending markets in which the initial trade has been in the wrong direction.

In python, the implementation of the logistic function looks as follows:

def logistic(minLot, maxLot, x0, x):
    k = 1/x0*numpy.log(maxLot/minLot -1)
    return maxLot/(1+numpy.exp(-k*(x-x0)))

numpy.log is the natural logarithm, in C it is 

double log(double x);

Note that only x0 is a parameter that needs to be implemented in addition. minLot and maxLot are already implemented in CP, k is automatically calculated.

It would be great to have this mathematical approach implemented.

Thank you in advance!

Related suggestion: https://communitypowerea.userecho.com/en/communities/1/topics/196-max-lot-option-max-lot-per-1000

RickMos

on #18 start strongly the bias to maxlot in your case is 2, at pos #20 single pos lot has to be near 2, you have some trouble in your formulas.

acealert

For Lot Marti and Total Marti is common martingale calculation

previous lot * multiplier

so there are no use maxlot rule

maxlot is use in lot and total lot column

and this is just basic understanding from me about differences

but I can't figure it out by simply put my understanding to Andrey's example

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
Quote from acealert

For Lot Marti and Total Marti is common martingale calculation

previous lot * multiplier

so there are no use maxlot rule

maxlot is use in lot and total lot column

and this is just basic understanding from me about differences

but I can't figure it out by simply put my understanding to Andrey's example

See the initial post for details. I have nothing to add )