Hedge Series

• updated

I've been researching different trading methodologies, and one that had stood out to me is hedge trading series. The scenario goes as follows :

1. You enter a buy position.

2. if market keeps going in your favor, tp is hit as normal. If it doesn't, and price moves downwards, after a specified distance, you enter a sell position with an increased size (lot * coefficient).

3. if price keep moving down, the tp of the sell is hit and closes both orders. The sell position's profit would cover the loss of the buy since its a slightly bigger position.

4. if price keeps moving side ways, then consecutive trades would open with bigger lot sizes as shown here:

Image 4394

5. If price touches the buy line, a new buy order is added to the series.  If it touches the sell line, a new sell order is added to the series. These will of course need to be alternating and only open a new trade if the previous was the opposite direction.

6. Price will eventually spike in one direction and the bigger lot sizes will cover the the smaller opposite loses.

Think of it as a sideways martingale with the following properties:

1. Buffer zone in the middle - This can be set in pips or a volatility coefficient.

2. Lot increase mode - The usual modes Sum, Fibo, Martin, soft martin, etc.

3. Max number of trades in the series

4. Close on breakeven - to safe guard against prolonged market sideway movements.

5. and other usual options such as new deal at end of bar etc.

The TP and SL needs to be set from both the buy and sell lines. My guess the current available mode "from last open price" should accomplish this, however in practice maybe a new mode to calculate it from the edge of the buffer zone could be added.

As with martingale, this also has the risk of opening increasing lot size and blow the account, however it could be a great addition to our toolkit and opens the door for new strategies if used correctly.

Forex Trader

I love this feature. it is called recovery zone :)

Ulises Cune

This strategy has already been discussed here. Please take a look at this post

https://forum.communitypowerea.com/communities/1/topics/621-recovery

lytnin
Quote from Ulises Cune

Oh you are right... I guess i missed that post... I can see its been declined as well :(

lytnin
Quote from Ulises Cune

ok so i tested you set file from the thread u linked, it not quite a zone recovery.

I still feel like this has value. I've gone through multiple other EA's and they all don't quite do it right.

If this was added here, combined with most of the other features that we already have, i think it would be a pretty solid addition.

Here's a few examples of how id use it:
1. Gap and take profit based on volatility coefficient fixed with fixed volatility on first position option.. there are EAs that allow using of ATR to set the gap, but I haven't seen any give the option of tp based on volatility.

2. We can use the global settings to trade multiple symbols together... since this is a hedge strategy, using global setting is a no brainer, close everything once a certain level is set... not to mention a global trailing stop.

3. Lot increase mode... CP has a wide range of options here that have not been considered in other EAs

4. Partial close "close any with any" option could be an interesting option here, since we can close open positions in the series and "try" to reduce drawdown.

5. step increase coefficient option can be another option to try, where we can have the zone to increase/decrease.

6. this is a far fetched one... but maybe we can combine martin with it? though this might consume your margin quite rapidly.

In summary, I still think this has value to be added since CP has a lot of options that can be combined to create rather unique trading strategies with it.