MT5 - BTCUSD Optimisation - Any ideas where to start with the settings?

• updated
  • Under review

Hello, 

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where to start with settings for crypto?

MT version:
EA version:
Symbol:
BTCUSD
TimeFrame:
5 minutes
Kishan Bhatt

Hi, 

I'm just using evolve markets. Currently running a massive batch test for ETHUSD. Concurrently testing all the major parameters in relation to the indicator 1. I've got 4 200 tests. Not sure how well my laptop is handling it 🤔. MetaTrader is surprisingly stable. 

I'll publish my results tomorrow morning. 

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
Quote from Kishan Bhatt

Hi, 

I'm just using evolve markets. Currently running a massive batch test for ETHUSD. Concurrently testing all the major parameters in relation to the indicator 1. I've got 4 200 tests. Not sure how well my laptop is handling it 🤔. MetaTrader is surprisingly stable. 

I'll publish my results tomorrow morning. 

It is bad idea to brute force all parameters.

You should understand how they works and set range for each parameter. Or even try some strategies my hands and only then find the best parameters for the strategy you like.

Kishan Bhatt

Hi Andrey, 

You are right. Such a feature rich set of options. You could really get yourself into trouble with martingdale for example. It has been real fun to test everything though. I have literally spent hours on mt5 strategy tester to get some meaningful results. 

I have been going through them one by one to see which ones have an effect. My method was to start with a range of the signals to use and then try the various time ranges. It is a good thing i am on holiday as a teacher and making myself stay inside because of covid. 

Doing 4200 combinations was interesting! It did yield some interesting outcomes with the various backtest. But when I tried to reproduce one successful one I couldn't (couldn't remember where I saved it)! So today I went back to the drawing board to test them again. And eventually came out with something to work from at least that could detect some successful signals and achieve a reasonable ratio for a number of trades it could make. 

I am working now to optimise some settings for ETHUSD. I will publish the results in due course. 

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  • Under review

Great! Please, share your results.

BTW, you can find previous optimization results on the Overview tab, just start to type Expert name in the search window.

After selection, just Start the optimization, it will be finished immediately and you'll see the results.

Kishan Bhatt
Quote from Andrey Khatimlianskyi

BTW, you can find previous optimization results on the Overview tab, just start to type Expert name in the search window.

After selection, just Start the optimization, it will be finished immediately and you'll see the results.

Hi,

I will publish them. Problem is, I don't know where I put them! I will run them again and publish the results for outside scrutiny and assessment. So far I would firstly optimise for signal on the 1st oscillator, then the profit limits and finally the stop losses. 

I think by publishing all, people can see which scenario suits them in terms of profit, drawdown etc. 

Kishan Bhatt
Quote from Andrey Khatimlianskyi

I did find them, but they are labelled with stuff that doesn't state the parameters optimised for! So I end up looking for ages. I will just have to save them one at a time. 

Andrey Khatimlianskyi
  1. Repeat optimization
  2. "Run the single test" from context menu of Optimization results (or just double-click on the row you like)
  3. Save the set from the Inputs tab

Voi-la! ;)

Kishan Bhatt

BTUSD,m5,012020-082020.ini

BTCUSD, M5, 01012020-11082020 Backtest Report.html

Hi, 

So far I have come up with this for BTCUSD. A modest profit and balance gained in a turbulent year. But the resistance to drawdown at least made it a bit more resilient. I will so some more testing for a better set up using the new volatility filters.

Kishan Bhatt

ETHUSD, M5, 01012020-11082020 Backtest Report.html

Hi, 

So here is an one setting for ETHUSD. But one major drawback is that it holds a position for a long time! I will try an locate the old optimisation reports and their files. 

Kishan Bhatt

One word of warning - I have tested these under idealised conditions with backtesting only. I have not risked any of my own money. But will do eventually once I tune it to a reasonable standard. Unfortunately, one feature of these is that they do hold their positions for a long time! so you will get hit with broker fees as a result.